The University of Arkansas at Hope will host a Workers’ Safety Conference on October 24 at Hempstead Hall from 7:15 am to 2:35 pm. The conference is presented by the Arkansas Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Labor. The registration fee of $25 covers lunch and conference materials. Pre-registration is encouraged, as this allows the event organizers to plan accordingly. Cancellations will be accepted until two days prior to the conference and substitutions are permitted. All major credit cards are accepted. To register online, go to www.labor.arkansas.gov/online-services. Click on “Seminars and Conferences.”
Whether you are employed by a private company, a business owner, or work for a public agency, you and your co-workers can benefit greatly from attending this safety conference. The purpose of this event is to enhance workplace hazard recognition and strengthen a culture of workplace safety, thereby reducing employee injuries and illnesses.
While these conferences are intended for hourly employees, we encourage all companies also to send members of their safety committees, supervisors or managers with safety responsibilities, and any others who might benefit from basic safety training. Nursing home administrators and nurses may also use this training for continuing education purposes.
- 7:15 am Registration
- 7:45 am Opening Remarks: Mayor Steve Montgomery, Todd Franks, Corporate Standards Manager, Siplast, Chancellor Chris Thomason, UACCH, and Ralph T. Hudson, Director, Division of Labor
- 8:00 am OSHA Update: TBA ~ This presentation will highlight fatalities, penalties, and the top ten most-cited hazards in general industries in Arkansas, as well as the local, regional, and national emphasis program.
- 8:45 am Break
- 8:55 am Best Practices of an Effective Leader: Ralph T. Hudson, Director, Division of Labor ~ Attendees will learn about the things leaders should do and say to maximize their success as a leader.
- 9:35 am: Break
- 9:45 am Breakdown of the Types of Amputations Taking Place in Arkansas: Janelta Pickett, Arkansas Department of Labor and Licensing
- 10:30 am Break
- 10:40 am Blending the Different Generations in the Workplace and Future Challenges: Terry Bryant, SEA, Inc.
- 11:20 am Lunch
- 12:00 pm You’re Safe; Now What? Keneasha Scott, K Scott Consults, LLC
- 12:45 pm Break
- 12:55 pm Defusing Violence in the Workplace: Patrick Thomas, Arkansas Department of Highway and Transportation ~ Attendees will learn soft skills to prevent workplace violence as well as other methods in averting workplace violence.
- 1:40 pm Break
- 1:50 pm Safety Hazard Recognition: Todd Franks, Siplast ~ Attendees will learn how to identify hazards and classify unsafe acts and conditions
- 2:35 pm Adjourn