What do computer programmers, information security analysts, and/or computer system analysts do?
Computer programmers write and test code that allows computer applications and software programs to function properly. They turn the program designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that a computer can follow. In addition, programmers test newly created applications and programs to ensure that they produce the expected results. If they do not work correctly, computer programmers check the code for mistakes and fix them. Information security analysts plan and carry out security measures to protect an organization’s computer networks and systems.
Computer programmers typically do the following:
- Write programs in a variety of computer languages, such as C++ and Java
- Update and expand existing programs
- Test programs for errors and fix the faulty lines of computer code
- Create and test code in an integrated development environment (IDE)
- Use code libraries, which are collections of independent lines of code, to simplify the writing
Information security analysts typically do the following:
- Monitor their organization’s networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
- Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
- Prepare reports that document security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
- Conduct penetration testing, which is when analysts simulate attacks to look for vulnerabilities in their systems before they can be exploited
- Research the latest information technology (IT) security trends
- Develop security standards and best practices for their organization
- Recommend security enhancements to management or senior IT staff
- Help computer users when they need to install or learn about new security products and procedures
Employment of computer programmers is projected to decline 9 percent from 2019 to 2029. Employment of information security analysts is projected to grow 31 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Median Annual Pay – Computer Programmers
Median Annual Pay – Information Security Analysts
Get Started At UAHT
Send Me More Information