What do emergency medical technicians and paramedics do?
They care for the sick or injured in emergency medical settings. People’s lives often depend on the quick reaction and competent care provided by these workers. EMT’s and paramedics respond to emergency calls, perform medical services, and transport patients to medical facilities.
- Respond to 911 calls for emergency medical assistance, such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or bandaging a wound
- Assess a patient’s condition and determine a course of treatment
- Provide first-aid treatment or life support care to sick or injured patients
- Transport patients safely in an ambulance
- Transfer patients to the emergency department of a hospital or other healthcare facility
- Report their observations and treatment to physicians, nurses, or other healthcare facility staff
- Document medical care given to patients
- Inventory, replace, and clean supplies and equipment after use
Overall employment of emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics is projected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations.
More information: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/emts-and-paramedics.htm
Median Annual Pay
$17.02 | Hourly
Get Started At UAHT
Send Me More Information