What do diesel service technicians do?
They perform inspections, maintenance, repairs, and general care for diesel engines. Some diesel technicians specialize in specific types of vehicles. When commercials transportation malfunctions, a diesel tech will diagnose the problems and find solutions.
- Consult with customers, read work orders, and determine work required
- Plan work procedures using technical charts and manuals
- Inspect brake systems, steering mechanisms, transmissions, engines, and other parts of vehicles
- Follow checklists to ensure that all critical parts are examined
- Read and interpret diagnostic test results to identify mechanical problems
- Repair or replace malfunctioning components, parts, and other mechanical or electrical equipment
- Perform basic care and maintenance, including changing oil, checking fluid levels, and rotating tires
- Test-drive vehicles to ensure that they run smoothly
Overall employment of diesel service technicians is projected to grow 4 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
More information: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/diesel-service-technicians-and-mechanics.htm
Median Annual Pay
$23.41 | Hourly
Get Started At UAHT
Certificate of Proficiency in Diesel Technology Degree Plan
Send Me More Information