This course is designed to prepare students for the basic EMT certification administered by the Arkansas Health Department. The course includes anatomy, dealing with trauma, splinting, use of spine boards, bandaging, emergency care of patients, and emphasis on emergency intervention at a basic level.
- Students are required to be Health Care Provider CPR certified through program completion.
- Students must show proficiency in reading, writing, and math through the following test scores:
ACT Reading 16, English 16, Math 15 or equivalent placement score
- Students seeking the AAS Paramedic but who are taking EMPT 1003 and EMPT 1004 courses must co-enroll in any pre-college courses required during the first 30 credit hours of course work.
- Students scoring less than ACT Reading 16, English 16, Math 15 or equivalent placement score must take the appropriate remedial courses prior to enrollment in EMT 1003 and EMPT 1004.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older at time of program completion. Please consult with the program advisor if you are under the age of 23. If you have been convicted of a crime please see the program advisor to determine eligibility.
- Students must be able to lift, move and perform practical skills.
Students interested in the UAHT EMS Program please complete the online application: UAHT EMS Program Application
Handouts and Standards:
|Year||Written||Practical||First Attempt||All Attempts||Retention||Positive Placement|
|Course Requirements||Credit Hours|
|EMPT||1003||Introduction to EMS|
|EMPT||1004||Emergency Medical Technician|
|MEDL||1001||HCP CPR (if needed)|
Click the checklist below to view the degree plan.
Other EMS programs available at UAHT: